The ruby red seeds of a pomegranate are a tasty delight. For centuries they have been associated with fertility and abundance because of their many, many seeds. Research has shown that pomegranates can help with a number of health concerns such as heart health, high blood pressure, cancer, memory issues and is even an aphrodisiac.
7 Health Benefits of Pomegranate
- Helps Keep a Heart Healthy
Patients who drank pomegranate juice regularly found the plaque in their carotid artery reduced by 30 percent and their blood pressure lowered by over 12 percent according to research. Those in the control study who didn’t drink pomegranate juice actually had their atherosclerotic plaque increase by 9 percent.
- Is an Aphrodisiac
Pomegranate juice has in recent years been celebrated for its viagra effect. It was found that pomegranate juice raised testosterone levels by an average of 24 percent and also had a positive effect on blood pressure, in a study from Edinburgh.
- Fights Breast CancerIt was found that pomegranate extract hinders the growth of breast cancer cells, according to the Cancer Research Center, University at Albany.
Pomegranate fruit peel extract was found in a study to reduce breast cancer cell production.
Also, pomegranate seed oil has been shown to deter breast cancer.
- Reduces Loss of MemoryThe pomegranate polyphenols were found to reduce the loss of memory resulting from heart surgery in one study. Also, it was found that when seniors with memory problems drank eight ounces of pomegranate juice for four weeks, they had much better verbal and visual memory, according to this study.
- Lowers Blood PressurePomegranate juice has been found to lower blood pressure in hypertensive people after only two weeks in one study.
Also, another study found that pomegranate juice is beneficial for high blood pressure.
- Good for Exercise PerformanceBlood flow was greatly improved for 19 athletes running on a treadmill when they consumed 1 gram of pomegranate extract 30 minutes before exercise in this study.
- Helps Fight VirusesPomegranates have anti-viral properties and have even been found to inhibit the HIV-1 virus in research at Kimball Research Institute in New York.
Please Note: Pomegranates can be part of a healthy diet and considered safe. Some blood pressure medications can be affected by pomegranates as they can lower blood pressure. Check with your doctor before consuming pomegranates if you’re about to have surgery. Also, pomegranate juice may cause dangerous side effects when it interacts with certain prescription medications.